1. Toast the mung beans in a dry skillet over medium heat. When beans are light brown, move to a large bowl with half of the water.
2. Into a medium, heavy-bottomed pan, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the bay leaf, cardamom pods, clove, cinnamon, cumin seeds and chili. Stir until the cumin seeds start to pop then add the grated ginger.
3. Add the potato, carrots, cauliflower and turmeric. Stir, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the mung beans, water and salt. Cover the pot and cook until it starts to boil. Cook until the beans start to soften (3-4 minutes).
5. Add the rice and two more cups of water to the pot. Cover and simmer on low, stirring as needed to prevent sticking, adding more water as needed to create a thick texture. Stir in the frozen peas after you've reached the desired texture, 5-10 minutes before serving.